Dailey Method

I have a confession to make: I don't like exercising. I guess it may be a surprise considering that I have been dancing all my life and one would think for sure that I have a regular fitness routine, right? Sorry, but the answer is no.  I detest exercising - I really am not a fan. In fact, back in the days when I was part of a dance group that performed on a weekly TV variety show, I dragged my feet to aerobics classes, that when it became "voluntary" to join in, I was the only member of the dance group who didn't attend the classes - har! har! Never mind that aerobics was supposed to improve my stamina - which I so badly needed since our group rehearsed 4 - 5 dances and taped 2 shows per week. I'd rather be stretching on a ballet barre, thank you very much.

Maybe it's the frustrated ballerina in me. Or my love for "luigi jazz." Or maybe it's both. But I just do not enjoy the grapevines, marches, jogs. Even when aerobics got trumped by Zumba, and most of my friends got into the bandwagon, I stayed on the sidelines. Again, it's the frustrated ballerina in me calling. Rather than gyrate my hips to latin music, I much prefer to stretch and elongate my leg extensions. 

So, when my adult ballet/jazz class closed for summer, I found myself in a dilemma. I needed to ensure that all the ballet work I've done the past months wouldn't go to waste with our two-month hiatus. It's not easy getting my body to be flexible again, enough that I could do high kicks, or stretched my muscles to exhaustion that I could do a decent turn out for first position.

Thanks to an idea from a friend, I got into the Dailey Method. Dailey Method is a combination of ballet barre workout, stretching and core toning. Needless to say, it's my kind of "exercise." I'm just happy to be maintaining my flexibility but getting toned and being fit at the same time is such a bonus! Oh, and did I say our studio is a few steps away from the beach? :-)








Comments

Popular Posts